Thursday, August 6, 2015

Preparing for School to Resume

Today is August 6th and I have spent much of my day preparing for kindergarten to resume. I have been working at school many days now since mid-July.  I've been cleaning out my desk and my closet.  Organizing and sorting through piles of materials that had accumulated through the previous year.  I've sharpened many pencils, put up new bulletin boards and hung up posters and learning materials.  Now I will do my lesson plans remembering that incoming kindergartners have a very short attention span and are still in "play" mode when school begins.  I will have to have many shorter activities and fillers ready to go.  The first two weeks of school is a huge adjustment for these little ones.

While I'm at work I wonder how my new class will be.  Will they get along?  Will they enjoy learning?  What are their interests?  I also think about last year's students and how I haven't seen many of them all summer.  I really miss them.  It is difficult when we have bonded together everyday for 9 months and then just like that I don't see them for a few months.  It will be great to see them too!

My sister-in-law called and told me about her grandson, Jack.  He will also be starting kindergarten in a Nebraska school.  He is so excited for school to begin, but he is also concerned about some things and he worries a bit about school starting.  He and his dad have been praying for his new teacher all summer!  That just warmed my heart when I heard that.  It made me realize what an important role I have in each child's life.  I will do my best to be the kindest, most patient and most dedicated teacher that I can be.  I am ready to meet my new students and have another wonderful school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment